Big Rig Carrying Frozen French Fries Catches Fire On I-80
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
APPLEGATE (CBS13) – A big rig fire created a slick mess on Interstate 80 east of Auburn on Tuesday.
The big rig carrying frozen French fries was headed to Modesto when the brakes of the trailer caught fire and quickly spread to the rest of the trailer, forcing the driver to pull over near Applegate.
Two of the eastbound lanes were closed for several hours as crews cleaned the greasy mess off the road.
“This is actually a fairly common place for it to happen. They get hot coming over the summit, and as they start breaking down here, the fire catches and off it goes,” said a fire official.
The driver was not injured in the incident.
The freeway has reopened.