UC Davis Adds Highly Paid Public Relations Guru To Help Boost Image
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The University of California, Davis, is adding an associate chancellor’s position at a $260,000 annual salary as part of a plan to improve the university’s image.
The Sacramento Bee reports the university hired Luanne Lawrence as associate chancellor for strategic communications earlier this year at a salary higher than any other campus communications chief in the University of California system.
The university’s image has suffered since a 2011 incident in which a campus police officer used pepper spray on students who were protesting tuition increases. Video of the incident went viral.
Lawrence says her job includes persuading potential students and donors that the university can compete despite decreasing state funding for higher education. The university also wants to boost enrollment by 5,000 students by 2020.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.