Large Crowd Gathers To Remember Elk Grove Teen Killed In Car Crash
Don't Miss This
- Stockton School District Possibly Selling $2 Million In Unused School Buses
- Strong, This New Member Of Stockton Schools Police Force Is
- After Bed Bug Complaints, Lodi Theater Closed Until Thursday To Eliminate ‘Insect’ Problem
- Alleged Bed Bug Infestation Temporarily Shutters Lodi Movie Theater
- Emerging Solar Plants Are Igniting Birds Mid-Air
Get Breaking News First
ELK GROVE (CBS13) — A large crowd gathered to remember a high-school football player as police investigate how he lost control of his car and lost his life.
Joshua Davis, 17, died Saturday after his car ran into a light pole in Sacramento.
Hundreds gathered in the spot where Davis died to pay their respects to a young man who so many loved.
“He was like a brother to me,” said teammate Kameron Schroeder. “I loved him so much, it just hurts to see him go.”
Davis was a senior and played football at Cosumnes Oaks High School. His teammates say he made first-team all-league this year.
His coach, Ryan Gomes, spoke out through tears at the vigil.
“He was a phenomenal young man, and you all know that. It’s proven by the love and support shown here tonight,” he said. “You guys know he came to battle every night on that football field. He was a warrior, respected and loved by his teammates.”
Friends say he was driving with his best friend when he tried to pass a car, hit a median and lost control, slamming into a pole. They say he was in a car he had never driven before.
Shulanda Mosley lives nearby and heard the crash outside her home.
“As a mom, I just knelt down at Josh’s door, and was just telling him to hold on, and that the ambulance was on the way,” she said.
Some of Josh’s friends rushed to see him in the hospital, but he didn’t make it.
Police are still looking into whether speed was a factor, but they say alcohol wasn’t involved.
As for the passenger in the car with Davis, he was not hurt.
Editor’s Note 12/16: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated the crash happened in Elk Grove.
- Davis Police Accepting MRAP Raises Concerns About Department Militarization
- SMUD Mixup Leaves Woman Paying Neighbor’s Electrical Bills For More Than A Year
- Doctors Calming Fears After Sacramento Patient Tested For Ebola Exposure
- Ferguson Shooting Revives Memories Of Similar Sacramento Incident In 1970s
- Tracy Residents Happy With Parking Permit Restrictions Near High School