GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) – A suspect in the killing of a deputy in California after a carjacking in Oregon and an attack at a tourist attraction has been linked to the case of a man who was killed before his body was found by officials responding to a fire, authorities said Thursday.

Ricardo Antonio Chaney, 32, was called a person of interest because he knew the family of 79-year-old victim George Bundy Wasson, Eugene police spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin said.

She said Chaney, who was later shot and killed by a police officer in California, was not considered a suspect in the death of Wasson in Oregon. McLaughlin would not divulge any details of the slaying.

Authorities responding to the fire around 12:36 a.m. Wednesday in Eugene found Wasson’s body. The fire was started after Wasson was killed, according to authorities.

Chaney is suspected of carjacking two men a short time later outside their home before driving to California, where sheriff’s officials say he shot and killed Mendocino County Deputy Ricky Del Fiorentino before being shot and killed himself.

Police said the two carjacking victims escaped and were unharmed.

The details of the deputy’s shooting were recounted by a tearful Sheriff Tom Allman at a news conference in Fort Bragg, near the site of the deputy’s slaying.

“I wish you weren’t here, and I wish I wasn’t here,” Allman told reporters.

The cause of the rampage remained unclear. The Eugene police website shows police contacted Chaney in his car late at night on March 6 after using GPS to track a stolen cellphone to the location. He was homeless and living in his car, McLaughlin said.

Chaney refused a request to search the vehicle. After he drove away, police pulled him over for traffic violations. They found he had no insurance and during a search of the vehicle, discovered several firearms, including a modified AR-15 assault-style rifle and body armor, police reported.

Chaney was arrested on suspicion of unlawful possession of a firearm and methamphetamine, and booked into Lane County Jail, where records show he was released the same day without being charged.

Jail records show Chaney was taken into custody four other times dating back to 2002 on suspicion of assault, interfering with police, disorderly conduct and criminal trespass. The resolution of those cases could not be immediately determined.

The chase on Wednesday that ended with the killings began in Eugene, with the early morning theft of a black, 2006 BMW. The two occupants, men in their 20s, were leaving their house when Chaney forced them into the trunk at gunpoint, police said.

They were able to escape before the car left the parking lot, and called 911.

About 10 hours after the carjacking, the sheriff’s office received a call from an employee of Confusion Hill, a California tourist attraction along Highway 101, about 180 miles north of San Francisco, that offers train rides through redwoods.

John Mills, 55, a front-desk worker, said he had found a man – later identified by authorities as Chaney – urinating outside a bathroom in a fenced park area. When Mills told him to leave, Chaney cursed and briefly drove away, but then returned with a double-barreled shotgun, Mills said.

“Things went sideways from there,” said Mills, who grabbed a baton and hit the shotgun as the attacker came through the entrance, causing the weapon to fire a round into the ground.

Mills said Chaney then pointed the shotgun directly at him. Mills said he dropped down and rolled into a kitchen door, as another round was fired.

Mills said he got a pistol from the kitchen and shot back at Chaney, who fled to his car and drove away.

“Unfortunately, my aim wasn’t too good. If I had been better, then he might not have made it to do what he did later,” Mills told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Chaney was spotted about an hour later by a deputy but got away during a chase that reached speeds of more than 100 mph. He was encountered by Del Fiorentino in Cleone, a rural area with a mix of homes, forest and open fields, a little before noon.

Allman said Chaney opened fire with an AK-47-style assault rifle, spraying Del Fiorentino’s vehicle with bullets. Fort Bragg police Lt. John Naulty, who was searching for Chaney nearby, heard the gunfire and found Chaney going through the deputy’s vehicle, the sheriff said.

Chaney fired six or seven rounds at Naulty, who returned fire, Allman said. Chaney was later found dead.

Del Fiorentino, once a wrestling coach at Fort Bragg High School, began as a deputy with Mendocino County in 1988. He spent 10 years with the Fort Bragg Police Department before returning to the sheriff’s office in 2000.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris paid tribute to him.

“His tragic death is a stark reminder of the danger our brave men and women in law enforcement face every day to keep our communities safe,” she said in a statement.


Associated Press writers Terry Collins and Sudhin Thanawala in San Francisco contributed to this report.


Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s