East Sacramento Residents Vowing To Stop McKinley Park Village After Council Vote
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Residents upset over the Sacramento City Council approving a controversial housing project are vowing to stop the project from starting.
Opponents have 30 days to file a lawsuit to stop the development that would add 300 homes in East Sacramento along Business 80. They say that’s too expensive, but they’re not giving up on staying vocal.
Kathyryn Karrer has lived in East Sacramento since 1947, and has seen the area change. But she’s against changes approved by the Sacramento City Council to build the McKinley Park Village housing project.
“Is there a problem with not developing something?” she said. “Can we have a park or garden?”
That’s not likely, as the City Council voted on Tuesday to pass the controversial $160 million project that attracted 90 speakers to the meeting.
Opponents are concerned the project will also bring increased traffic and pollution to the area. They also say the former dump site could be a health hazard for future residents.
Developer Phil Angelides tried to ease the tension.
“I hope we can look back in 20, 30 years, 40 years when all the discussion has subsided, that McKinley Village is part of our community in our wonderful family of neighborhoods as this community has evolved,” he said.
With the vote behind them, opponents play to stay involved.
The developer needs to get Union Pacific to approve a tunnel at 40th Street to get to the development site. That could take years.