Group Claims Obamacare Unconstitutionally Imposes New Taxes
CBS Sacramento (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSSacramento.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSSacramento.com/Health
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A Sacramento-based law firm is challenging President Barack Obama’s health care law, claiming it imposes new taxes unconstitutionally.
The Pacific Legal Foundation will make oral arguments Thursday in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. A district court had ruled last year against the foundation, which advocates for limited government.
Foundation attorney Timothy Sandefur said Monday that the Affordable Care Act is unconstitutional because it originated in the Senate. Sandefur says that violated the Constitution’s origination clause, which requires tax bills to start in the House.
Sandefur says America’s founders wanted to keep taxing authority closer to the people.
The U.S. Supreme Court has upheld the crux of the health care law, ruling that the penalties to enforce it are a tax Congress is authorized to levy.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.