Thieves Steal Shriners Go Karts Scheduled For Parade
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Thieves almost brought an end to a Memorial Day tradition of go kart riding for Shriners Hospital.
Authorities said that thieves used bolt cutters on a fence to get into the Marysville Road compound where the karts were stored in a truck. 12 go karts were supposed to be stacked inside, but when a Shriners workers checked on them this morning only three remained. The karts were scheduled to make an appearance at a parade in Vacaville.
Neighbors said that, around 4 a.m., they heard the sound of go karts driving around the street.
The karts were hard to miss, as they are regulars in parades throughout Northern California and beyond. They are driven by fez wearing Shriners who buzz around in tight formations.
One of the karts was soon found in an abandoned lot nearby. Later Saturday, an eyewitness tip led police to a house on Los Robles Road where four carts were found. Another tip from a Rio Linda resident, who saw suspects driving the carts around, helped police find the rest of the stolen vehicles.
The go karts were already being stripped and repainted. Police arrested two people at the Rio Linda home and have four more detained.
Shriners Hospitals around the country, including here in Sacramento, provide care for children free of charge to their families. Officials say that the find will mean that the go karts will be back out on the Memorial Day VFW parade.