Thieves Steal Shriners Go Karts Scheduled For Parade
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Thieves almost brought an end to a Memorial Day tradition of go kart riding for Shriners Hospital.
Authorities said that thieves used bolt cutters on a fence to get into the Marysville Road compound where the karts were stored in a truck. 12 go karts were supposed to be stacked inside, but when a Shriners workers checked on them this morning only three remained. The karts were scheduled to make an appearance at a parade in Vacaville.
Neighbors said that, around 4 a.m., they heard the sound of go karts driving around the street.
The karts were hard to miss, as they are regulars in parades throughout Northern California and beyond. They are driven by fez wearing Shriners who buzz around in tight formations.
One of the karts was soon found in an abandoned lot nearby. Later Saturday, an eyewitness tip led police to a house on Los Robles Road where four carts were found. Another tip from a Rio Linda resident, who saw suspects driving the carts around, helped police find the rest of the stolen vehicles.
The go karts were already being stripped and repainted. Police arrested two people at the Rio Linda home and have four more detained.
Shriners Hospitals around the country, including here in Sacramento, provide care for children free of charge to their families. Officials say that the find will mean that the go karts will be back out on the Memorial Day VFW parade.