Turlock Eatery Removes Colin Kaepernick-Inspired Item From Menu

TURLOCK (CBS13) – Colin Kaepernick is in the spotlight again, now for refusing to stand up during Friday night’s national anthem before the 49ers-Packers game.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said after the game.

His statement sparked outrage among fans online and around Sacramento.

“I think that was a bold, courageous. I think that was an excellent move,” said community activist Berry Accius.

A hot dog establishment in Turlock, where Kaepernick grew up, removed all of his signs – and his signature hot dog – from their menu on Saturday.

“I understand he has his right for any opinion he wants, but there are a lot of people who are dying for our country that are black, white, Mexican, and I think he should show respect for those people,” said Sacramento resident Phillip Baiz.

49er coach Chip Kelly spoke out about Kaepernick’s actions Friday night, saying he has the right to sit or stand during the national anthem.

Comments

1. Rodbo says:

Colin doesn’t know how well he has it. If he really wanted to make a difference he’d serve in the underprivileged communities and share some of the wealth he has received.

1. Clive says:

He knows exactly how well he has it. You don’t have to be poor and oppressed in order to support the poor and oppressed.

2. Ken says:

Its not a sandwich shop.

3. Debbie says:

All I can say is. He doesn’t deserve to play for the NFL. These players should serve as an example for our youth and be someone they can look up to. All the men and women who have lost their lives to keep our country free are being insulted by these types of acts. How about he takes some or most of all that money he is making and hand it over to the victims families in protest. That would show much more character and would do much more than insulting our National Anthem. He’s a failure in my eyes

4. Willie says:

Let’s see Colin give away some of his money and spend some time in India or Afghanistan and see how good people in America have it. What an idiot. I am done with the 49ers as long as this joker is playing for them

5. Tyatollah2 says:

At least they commemorated him properly as a “hot dog.”

6. Tracy says:

really Colin? Why don’t you tell the truth and admit you were just pouting because you weren’t starting that night. What a sorry excuse for a professional athlete. My husband is done with the 9ers until this ass is gone!!!

7. Jan York says:

I bet Turlockers are REAL PROUD of him now. I used to stick up for him when he went pro. No more. Main Street Footers-way to go. Behind you 100%.( I used to work in downtown before I moved out of the county, and ate there quite often.)

8. Roxy says:

MAIN STREET FOOTERS Has been in business for over 30 years and they were made famous for their great variety of old fashioned steamed hot dogs (Foot Long “Footers”) they are not a “sandwich shop” although they do serve great sandwiches, salads &soup.
    I support their decision to pull the Kap Footer, but I bet if you ordered it as the AMERICAN PATRIOT FOOTER you would get it.

Go Niners & Go Footers without Kapernick

9. Cracks me up how many statements state to respect our military service members. I have 4 members of my immediate family that served and one of the reason they served was to give Kap exactly the rights everyone wants to take away from him. Do I think he used the correct platform for this, no but to say he is disrespecting the military is an irresponsible retort. People that say this are actually the ones that are disrespecting the service members that serve and have died to give him that right