California lawmakers have taken their first step toward passing new consumer protections under the federal health care overhaul, such as guaranteeing coverage even with pre-existing conditions
An annual fire-prevention fee that is unpopular with some rural property owners is headed back before the state Legislature, as Gov. Jerry Brown proposes to expand its use and opponents try to kill it.
Democratic lawmakers are proposing legislation that would require California gun owners to buy liability insurance to cover any damages or injuries caused by their weapons.
Legislation that has the backing of California’s attorney general would close a loophole in the nation’s toughest assault weapons law, making it more difficult for guns to be swiftly reloaded with high-capacity magazines.
A judge’s tentative decision siding with state lawmakers appears to undermine a voter-approved law that bans lawmakers from getting paid if they fail to pass a balanced budget on time.
Lawmakers returning this week from their spring recess face fast-approaching deadlines for several critical decisions.
A group of California lawmakers spent last week at a luxury hotel, all expenses paid, while attending an issues conference – unaware that CBS political reporter Dave Bryan tagged along with a hidden camera.
State lawmakers have addressed circumcision and foam takeout containers this year, but the state’s backsliding economy and dismal jobs outlook are dominating the end of the legislative session.
California congressional members are asking Gov. Jerry Brown to suspend the state’s participation in a Homeland Security program that aims to deport dangerous criminals.
State lawmakers have revised a bill to give counties more funding as they prepare to house up to 40,000 inmates who will be transferred from state prisons.
Education officials are warning lawmakers that a shorter school year, larger class sizes and teacher layoffs are ahead if the Legislature resorts to an all-cuts budget to close a deficit that once stood at nearly $27 billion.
A state panel has slashed the amount of money California taxpayers will spend to keep legislators on the road.
- Your Memorial Day Tributes News Photos Namaste: Yoga Poses For... 2013 Draft Lottery Party
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Board Of Governors Vote Party... Best Summer Dishes CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows
- Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Best Summer Festivals and... Sacramento's Most Wanted
- Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Best Mexican Cuisine Celebrities With Asthma Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Text 13NEWS to 84816 to sign up for breaking news text alerts.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news email alerts