READ THE DA’s FULL REPORT

5:00 p.m. Update: The mother of Stephon Clark’s children, Salena Manni, spoke for the public for the first time alongside her children, parents, and members of Clark’s family.

4:05 p.m. Update: Governor Gavin Newsom issued a statement Saturday afternoon about the DA’s decision:

“Our hearts continue to ache for the loss of Stephon Clark and the circumstances that led to his death. This must be a time for change. We need systemic reforms that reduce inequities, increase community confidence in our criminal justice system, and that reinforce the sanctity of human life. We need to bolster proven community policing programs and expand other programs that help strengthen bonds between law enforcement and the communities they serve.

But most of all, we need to acknowledge the hard truth — our criminal justice system treats young black and Latino men and women differently than their white counterparts. That must change,” Newsom said

1:24 p.m. Update – CBS13 has crews with the Clark family, Mayor Steinberg, and local faith leaders. We will have complete coverage at 5, 10, and 11.

1:23 p.m. Update – Press conference has ended.

1:20 p.m. Update – Schubert still answering questions from the media.

1:08 p.m. Update – Schubert will not charge the Sacramento Police officers who shot Stephon Clark.

 

1:00 p.m. Update – Schubert getting into the legal analysis of the shooting incident.

12:59 p.m. Update – Schubert still discussing Stephon Clark’s cellphone and what that says about his mental state.

12:54 p.m. Update – Schubert detailing March 16th domestic violence incident regarding Stephon Clark.

Domestic Violence Details

12:52 p.m. Update – Schubert talking about details of Stephon Clark’s cellphone.

12:49 p.m. Update – Schubert sharing the autopsy and toxicology report of Stephon Clark.

Autopsy And Toxicology Report

12:44 p.m. Update – Schubert discussing what the police officers said immediately after the shooting.

12:35 p.m. Update – Schubert detailing the shooting incident, showing slow-motion helicopter video.

12:35 p.m. Update – Schubert showing police body cam video of Clark shooting.

DA Anne Marie Schubert

12:31 p.m. Update – Police helicopter video shows the shooting death of Clark.

12:28 p.m. Update – Schubert detailing the police helicopter video.

Police Helicopter Video

12:21 p.m. Update – Schubert showing police body cam video.

Body Cam Video

12:19 p.m. Update – Schubert detailing what happened the night Stephon Clark died.

12:15 p.m. Update – Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert giving minute by minute review of what happened the night police shot and killed Stephon Clark.

12:09 p.m. Update – Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert says her office’s review does not address if there is civil liability, if police policy was violated, or if other police tactics should have been used.

12:03 p.m. Update – Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert addressing the media at press conference.

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert just announced her office will host a press conference today at noon to announce its findings of the Stephon Clark shooting.

Two Sacramento Police officers shot Clark eight times in his grandmother’s backyard on March 18 of last year.

The District Attorney’s office has been reviewing the case since late October.

TIMELINE: Events Following Stephon Clark Shooting

Originally, the DA’s office said it aimed to complete its investigation into the officer-involved shooting within 90 days, but also said it might need more time.

In a statement last October, the DA’s office wrote, “We will take whatever time is necessary to complete that process, as we balance our desire to complete this investigation review in a timely manner with the overarching need to ensure any conclusions we reach are the result of a thorough and methodical evaluation of the facts and the law.”

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg focused much of his 2019 “State of the City” speech on Clark’s shooting.

“How do I as your Mayor give voice to the pain that is so real and so raw in our community?” Steinberg said. “How do I as a relatively privileged white man let my suffering community members know they do not suffer alone — that their elected leaders are genuinely committed to change? How do I step into your shoes?”

ALSO: Exclusive: Stephon Clark’s Children Sit Down For Interview Nearly A Year After Deadly Shooting

Steinberg apologized to Clark’s family and to the community. He also highlighted the steps the police department is taking to build relationships with the community.

“I do not know what the district attorney and the attorney general will decide over the days, weeks or months ahead,” Steinberg said about the case. “If they decide not to bring criminal charges based on the existing state law, I know that there will be real anger about such a result.”

The officers who shot Clark were responding to reports of someone breaking into vehicles in Sacramento’s Meadowview neighborhood. They pursued Clark into his grandmother’s backyard, and when they rounded a corner saw Clark holding an object they identified as a gun. They shot at Clark 20 times, hitting him eight times.

The officers, whose names we are not reporting, were placed on administrative leave after the shooting but were back on the job within a few weeks.

The shooting triggered weeks of massive protests in downtown and drew national media attention. Protestors closed down I-5, blocked fans from entering the Golden 1 Center for two Sacramento Kings basketball games, and disrupted a Sacramento City Council meeting.

Sacramento city leaders have been meeting with community members ahead of today’s announcement, asking for help in preventing similar protests.

ALSO: City Leaders Preparing For Community Reaction To DA’s Stephon Clark Case Decision

The Sacramento Police Department changed some of its policies in the wake of the shooting, specifically telling officers not to mute the audio on their body cameras. The department also changed its policy relating to foot pursuits.

Stephon Clark’s family recently filed a $20 million lawsuit against the City of Sacramento.

Stay with CBS13 all afternoon and evening for the latest on this breaking news story. We’ll have the newest details here on our website, as well as on the air at 5, 10, and 11.

We have compiled all of our stories related to Stephon Clark here.

Comments (2)
  1. Helena Dee says:

    Looking at the evidence, presented here, sadly, Stephon Clark’s family has no reason to sue the city of Sacramento. I am so sorry for the turmoil, this young man was in, but unfortunately, his decisions caused his demise. I don’t understand why young people can’t see past the current moment. What or why have they lost the ability to use common sense? Hopefully, instead of trying to gain monetarily off Stephon’s death and blaming every actor except the star of this show, Stephon, they can find peace and treasure the good memories, I’m sure they have with him. I am so sorry and I hurt for his family, but common sense needs to rear it’s head so this family can find peace instead of bitterness in their hearts.

    1. Michael Grimler says:

      “…why have they lost the ability to use common sense?”

      Yes, it’s all part of the national War on Cops. It started with “the police acted stupidly” and has gone downhill from there.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s