Fire Breaks Out In Garage Of Rancho Cordova Home
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) – For the second time in as many days, pets had to be rescued from a local home after a fire broke out.
This blaze happened in Rancho Cordova on Friday morning. Thursday, a dog and a turtle were saved from a Rio Linda fire.
The homeowner Friday heard some noises and walked into a garage on fire. His primary concern was getting his five animals out alive.
“I live alone, so they’re my companions you know?” homeowner Jeff Cherney said.
Cherney grabbed his beagle Lilly and two birds and ran next door for help.
Jeff made it out but he couldn’t get everybody out. He left behind his two cats but did open the back door for them before he escaped the flames coming from his garage on La Alegria Drive.
“They were probably in the guest bedroom sleeping, so hopefully they got out,” he said. “They’re my love, so I can’t put it into words. I’m just glad they’re OK and fine.”
But Jeff’s not fine with the holidays right around the corner.
“It’s around Christmastime, presents, all that kind of stuff. Naturally, it’s saddening,” he said.
Sacramento Metro Fire was able to save most of the house, but there is a lot of smoke damage.
“Nothing’s worth losing your life and your pets’ life over,” neighbor Cindy Canas said.
Jeff said the fire department told him the damages could be around $100,00 because he is going to have to rebuild the garage and possibly look into some of the asbestos inside that dry wall.
The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.