Fireworks Accident Could Cost Livermore Teen His Hand
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
LIVE OAK, Calif. (AP) – Authorities say a Northern California teenager could lose his hand after a fireworks accident over the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Sgt. Kelly Kent says a 15-year-old boy from Livermore lit a “gold-shaped egg” made of cardboard that had a small fuse at a relative’s backyard near Live Oak Saturday night. He found the explosive on Corcoran Beach with two other boys.
Kent says the object exploded and severely injured the teen’s hand. The blast also caused shrapnel injuries to the boy’s torso.
Authorities say a team of first responders treated the boy at the scene before he was flown to Stanford Hospital. Deputies later combed the beach to look for any similar explosives but did not find any.
The incident is under investigation.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.