It’s almost 2014, which means it’s the perfect time to look back at 2013. We’ve been doing just that lately with our Top 10 posts for each month. Now it’s time to take the whole year by the horns and look back at the Top 100 stories on CBSSacramento.com.
Here’s the schedule for today:
75-51: 4 p.m.
50-26: 5 p.m.
25-11: 6 p.m.
10-1: 10 p.m.
100. Mexican Drug Cartels Extending Violent Reach Into Calaveras County Rancher’s Property
Ruthless criminal organizations behind mass murders, assassinations and kidnappings are setting up shop in the area, right under property owners’ noses.
99. Grass Valley Woman Mistakenly Texts Drug Deal To Narcotics Detective
Nevada County Sheriff’s deputies say it’s one of the easiest drug busts they’ve done in a while: a woman contacted them out of the blue to sell them drugs.
98. Yuba County Sword Slaying Suspect Says It Was An Accident
Joanne Cardoza admits grabbing a 3-foot-long sword off her kitchen table and pointing it at her boyfriend of five years. But she told Yuba County Sheriff’s deputies that she didn’t mean to stab him with it.
97. 6 People Killed, Several Injured In Lodi Crash
The crash happened at Ham Lane and Vine Street in Lodi at around 5:20 p.m., according to Eric Bradley, a Lodi Police Department spokesman. A man was driving southbound on Ham Lane at around 80 mph and talking on his cell when he ran the red light at the intersection of Vine Street, clipped a vehicle and caused the chain-reaction crash, witnesses say.
96. Vandals Tear Down Yellow Ribbons In Granite Bay For Second Year In A Row
For the second year in a row, a tribute honoring military members has been vandalized as someone tore down yellow ribbons.
95. Woman Gets 63 Days To Stop Smoking For Slapping Deputy
She slapped a deputy in a strange bid to quit smoking, and so far it’s working out just as she planned.
94. Study: Female Brains Are Smaller Than Male Brains, But Used More Efficiently
The findings of a new study reveal that, while women do have smaller brains than men, women use the grey matter they do have more efficiently than their male counterparts.
93. Caught On Video: Man Punches Female Store Clerk In The Face Over 41 Cents
A store clerk in Southern California was punched in the face by man over just a few coins.
92. Federal Shutdown: What’s Closed And What’s Open?
The federal government shutdown furloughed as many as 800,000 of the nation’s 2.1 million federal workers as it hit early Tuesday after a bitterly divided Congress failed to approve a temporary spending bill to keep the government running.
91. Suspect Identified In Galt Officer’s Fatal Shooting
A 35-year-old Galt police officer was fatally shot Tuesday morning during a confrontation with a man he was questioning in connection to a nearby burglary. That man shot the officer then shot and killed himself.
90. Senior Citizen Attacked By 4 Suspects For $15 In North Sacramento
A 72-year-old man was walking to his home when he was confronted by four male suspects and beaten in north Sacramento, all for the $15 he had in his wallet.
89. Hooker Sentenced For Oral Sex With Underage Student
James Hooker was sentenced after he avoided trial by pleading no contest to having oral sex in 1998 with a then-17-year-old girl.
88. Police: Senior Couple Caught Having Sex In Backseat Of Car In Sonora
The Sonora Police Department says two seniors were caught having sex in the back of their car during the middle of the day
87. Instagram Photo Of Suspects Eating $120 Worth Of Fast Food Leads To Arrest
Four alleged burglars were arrested after police found a photo of them eating $120 worth of Carl’s Jr. fast food on photo sharing website Instagram.
86. Rise Of Cattle Rustlers Contributing To Increase In Beef Prices
Justin Oldfield—a central valley rancher who also represents the California Cattlemen’s Association—says rustlers are drawn to the $1,500 a head of cattle could catch.
85. Family: Security Guard Killed At Natomas Apartment Party Was Trying To Stop Fight
A Sacramento security guard was gunned down at a Natomas party and his family believes he was just trying to keep the peace after a fight broke out.
84. Thieves Steal 26 Calves From Stanislaus County Dairy Farm
At least 26 cows were stolen from the same farm, and while the owner thinks he has a motive, he still doesn’t know who is behind the thefts.
83. Thunder Valley Casino Janitor Finds $10K In Cash, Returns It To Owner
Thousands of dollars in cash was left in a casino restroom and turned into a jackpot for one janitor. However, the Thunder Valley Casino employee didn’t hold on to the cash, but returned the money instead.
82. Manteca Teen’s Life-Saving Text Ends Days Of Rape, Torture
The teen’s nightmare began when police say Landry pushed her to the ground and kicked her in the head. The teen told officers she was taken to the suspect’s home, where she was beaten and raped.
81. Family: Missing Colfax Man Found Dead
Eric Garcia’s family hadn’t heard from him since Dec. 7. That weekend, half a foot of snow fell and temperatures dipped into the teens.
80. Girl, 17, Arrested For Prostitution In Ripon
The 17-year-old girl was reportedly advertising her “services” on a popular escort website. She arranged to meet an undercover police officer, where she was arrested for prostitution and drug possession, police said.
79. EDD Insider Says 600K Unemployed Not Receiving Payments
A state worker is speaking out, claiming the Employment Development Department isn’t admitting just how bad the problem is.
78. New Episode Of ‘The Mentalist’ Delayed A Week Due To Late NFL Game
An NFL matchup between the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers was a long, high-scoring game. That pushed “The Mentalist” back to 11 p.m. on the east coast. Rather than airing Fire and Brimstone that late, the network opted to push it back a week.
77. 4 Bodies Found Face-Down Outside California House
Lt. Terri Brinkmeyer said the victims were discovered around 4:30 a.m. Sunday outside a large white house in suburban Northridge
76. Rodeo Argument Ends With Wife Biting Man’s Genitals
A man whose wife bit him on the genitals after an argument after a rodeo says his only regret is calling 911 on her.